get Unix logon to Forms

From: Candy Robinson <candy_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com>
Date: 1997/09/11

[Quoted] I have an application in Developer 2000 that does a

select user into user_log from dual

from a procedure in order to determine access level allowed for the

     user. The problem is, I want to get the logon name from the Unix
     platform rather than the database logon.

[Quoted] Is there a way to do something in PL/SQL similar to:

:myvar := host('whoami');

I don't know how to grab the logon name for my application. If I use the

[Quoted]      Oracle logon, users can get access to write to places they shouldn't
     by going outside of my application via sqlplus or Microsoft Access or
[Quoted]      whatever, because I am granting them write access to tables through
     Oracle, and then restricting which row they can write to through my
     application.
What I need to do is run the application from a privileged account, and
     control writes based on the *platform* logon. I'm sure this is
[Quoted]      commonly done. Please help (thanks in advance!).
--
Sandra (Candy) Robinson		Boeing Defense & Space -- Irving Co.
candy_at_bcstec.ca.boeing.com	P.O. Box 152707, MS TR-56

It takes all the running you can do to keep in the same place. If you want to [Quoted] get somewhere else you must run twice as fast as that.  --Alice, in Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" Received on Thu Sep 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message