Re: Oracle File Permission

From: Dennis Taylor <no_spam_dammit_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/09/11

Jim Forest <jlam_at_unocal.com> wrote in article <3416DAE2.797FFDA8_at_unocal.com>...
> My UNIX system adm recently increase UNIX security level, and the
> system reports serveral red alert relating to file setting.
> Particularly, $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle and SQL*Net files.
>
> He ask why does file oracle set to 4755. I know Oracle requires this
> sticky bit, but I can find any documents, official documents, to satisfy
> his security obsession.

Simplest way to find out is to turn the sticky bits off for a few minutes. What you'll find is that only Oracle user login will be able to access your database. Other users will get errors.

Sticky bits are used (among other things) so that you can access files belonging to user A without logging in as user A and without making user A's files RWX to the world. All Oracle files belong to Oracle. bin/oracle belongs to oracle and has the sticky bit set. Hm......

--
---
email address is dtaylor at ipipeline dot net