Re: How to I run Oracle Workgroup Server (NT?, 95?, ????)

From: Thor HW <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: 1997/09/03

  1. Yes. I run NT, Oracle 7.3.3 and Designer/2000, Developer/2000 on my laptop. It works OK. I run it on my NT server as well, 64MB RAM, dual PPro 200 (only one installed) 2x2.1 GB HD, DAT tape, net card, scsi card, video card. It set me back $3500 CDN before taxes. You can get a similar configuration cheaper already I'm sure.
  2. Unless you'll be acting as a file/print server ... no need to get the Server version. Oracle runs just fine on the Workstation version.

I like UNIX better, I have a few of those servers as well! But if it's just you ... you can't beat the $$ of running just on a single box. ONLY 1 caveat that comes to mind is that you will run into version issues as you move between different versions of the database and Developer/2000 since many of the DLLs are shared. Oracle will probably come up with some versioning mechanism, but the MS world isn't in that league like UNIX is yet...

Thor HW

[Quoted] Luis Campos <lcampos_at_cpcis.pt> wrote in article <01bcb791$2f6aca80$a50100c0_at_luis-campos>...