2 questions

From: David Rajaratnam <David.Rajaratnam_at_dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: 1997/09/02

I've got a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with. I've done a search through dejanews but couldn't find the answer so...I know what I think the answers are I just wouldn't mind confirmation.

  1. What sort of percision does the DATE type go to? From what I can gather it only does to the nearest second. Is this correct?
  2. Does oracle allocate space for entries in a record that have no data in them? I suspect that it does (except for variable length datatypes such as VARCHAR2). The reason I ask is that a table structure I'm creating will probably [Quoted] [Quoted] be very sparse (eg. given table with columns 1...10, for every record I might only have 1 or 2 columns with actual data in them). Will oracle be able to optimise the space or should I look at creating a more flexible (and complex) set of tables to model what I want?

Thanks for you time

Dave

David Rajaratnam Ph: (08) 8259 6501 ACC Group Fax: (08) 8259 6011 DSTO Australia