Re: PL/SQL: How to check if a table exists or not?

From: Alexander G. Andzelevitch <aga_at_parad.ru>
Date: 1997/09/01

[Quoted] Michael A. Casillas <casillas_at_icepr.com> wrote in article <34047555.2D31BB02_at_icepr.com>...
> Yet another one:
>
> How can I check in PL/SQL if a table exists or not. Is there a built in
> function that can return TRUE or FALSE? I know the table name, I just
> want to know if it's there or if I have to create it. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Michael Casillas

In your case the better way may be not to check table existence, but just write following
BEGIN
  CREATE TABLE <My_Table> ...; -- always try to create table EXCEPTION
  WHEN OTHERS THEN -- Catch all possible exceptions

     NULL; -- nothing to do.
END; If My_Table is not constant then use dbms_sql package to execute "create table ..." script.

--
Alexander G. Andzelevitch