Re: Oracle Tools Vs. VB as Front-Ends to Oracle Databases

From: Dennis Taylor <spammers_are_scum_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/08/29

> One caveat: If the oracle account has access to many entities (tables,
> etc), the connect time with ODBC can be measured in minutes!! We have
> schemas which have access to Oracle Applications, where there are
> thousands of tables, sequences, etc. When our VB program first starts
> up, we see a wait of about five minutes!!! However, after the wait, the
> response time is fine.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Rich Woodland.
> Magic Interface, Ltd.

That's weird. We have an Oracle database with 3 or 4 thousand files, all under the same schema. We are accessing some specific files using VB5 and OO40. The network connection indeed takes a few seconds (low of about 2, high of about 10, based on network traffic I think), but I haven't seen any of these huge startup times that you are talking about. Is it perhaps an artifact of ODBC? Or are you opening LOTS of files? (My program opens 3). Perhaps your initial select to create the dynaset is a biggie, or involves non-indexed fields?

--
---
Dennis Taylor