Re: Enterprise Backup Utility - serious bug?

From: Joseph Testa <jtesta_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us>
Date: 1997/08/25

Chuck Hamilton (chuckh_at_dvol.com) wrote:
[Quoted] : Does anyone else think it strange that the Oracle EBU doesn't backup
: the online redo log files during a full offline backup?

Why would you want to?, if it is a full offline backup all changes from the redo logs have been written to the datafiles already.

How can you
: restore a database if these files aren't there? If you're running in
: NOARCHIVELOG mode, you can't do a "BACKUP ONLINE ARCHIVELOG" either.
: It doesn't let you.

If you were to lose the redo logs due to a disk crash(assuming you're mirroring them) you can just copy from one of the mirrors. If you have to restore from a offline backup and they are lost, you can just recreate them since your database is in a consistent state anyways.

: Am I missing something, or misunderstanding how this thing works?

So i guess my question is what am i missing, or have i totally blown the whole question here?

Joe

--
Joseph S. Testa, Database Administrator, Ohio EPA
  Founder of #oracle-dba on IRC, dal.net,  to find a server go to www.dal.net