Forms 3.x: validating number fields while querying

From: <dbentolila_at_lempert.com.ar>
Date: 1997/08/25

Hi,

     I'm using forms 3.x and have a problem while querying on fields   of type "number".

     In Enter-Query mode, when a user wrongly types a letter in a field   of type "number" and presses the [EXECUTE QUERY] key,   then forms issues the following message:

	FRM-40356: Invalid number in example record -
		 Query not issued

     This is OK; but the problem comes when the user types something
  like "A%" in a number field. Then Forms does not validate the field   format and issues the query to the database.

     The block is based on a very large table, so the query can take a   long time, and then retrieve nothing !.

     I have solved the problem validating the example value in the   PRE-QUERY of the block in the following mode:

	DECLARE
	    pp 	NUMBER;
	BEGIN
	    pp := TO_NUMBER(:block1.field1);   -- the number field
 	EXCEPTION
	   when value_error then
		message ('Invalid  value in example record');
		raise form_trigger_failure;
	END;

      But I'd be greatful if anyone can suggest a more simply method
  in order to validating the values at a more general level.
      I'm working with the following versions:
             RDBMS: 7.1.6.2.1
             SQL*Forms: 3.0.16.12.7

  	           Thanks beforehand,
 	                	David.