Re: Two questions.Please Help.

From: Jeffrey Rex Manthei <jmanthei_at_itis.com>
Date: 1997/08/25

Stephen wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have two questions about Oracle.
> 1) Could anyone tell me what is the differences between oracle.ini and
> init.ora files? I find that oracle.ini is in directory c:\orawin (PC)
> while init.ora is in UNIX machine.
>
> 2) Can the end-user change his Oracle passward by himself?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

To rephrase the first question, the oracle.ini is for user environment parameters, and the initxxxx.ora is the Oracle instance initialization file with parameters that configure the instance.

Besides using "Alter user ...", you could use "Grant connect to user_name identified by new_password". Look into how and when a user may have the "Alter user..." or "Grant connect..." privileges. The "Grant ..." privilege is a DBA privi., I'm not sure about "Alter user", but it makes sense that this would be allowed users because they need this privi to change their own password.

Rex Received on Mon Aug 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message