Re: Foxpro -> Oracle char field padding problem

From: Jeffrey Rex Manthei <jmanthei_at_itis.com>
Date: 1997/08/25

Edwin Robson wrote:

> Can anybody help please ?
>
> We are using views based on Oracle tables.
>
> A problem occurs because Visual FoxPro pads character fields with
> spaces. Oracle varchar fields do not expect to have this padding after
> the data to the end of the field.
>
> This causes problems when updating and querying.
>
> Does anyone know of a solution. ?
>
> Microsoft Knowledgebase (Article ID Q170129) says that Microsoft is
> still researching the problem.
>
> --
> Edwin Robson. Information Services.
> Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd, Birmingham, B37 7YU. (UK).
> Tel: +44 (0)121 717 6426 Fax: +44 (0)121 717 6018
> E-mail: E.Robson_at_ftel.co.uk (Work)
> edwin_at_pandemonium.demon.co.uk (Home)
> WWW: http://www.pandemonium.demon.co.uk/
We had a similar problem with Dbase data. For a short-term measure, we used rtrim(fld_name,' ') or rtrim(fld_name) when joining data that sometimes was padded with blanks with other data that wasn't padded with blanks. This really adds a burden on the the user and is not really an optimal long term solution.

Rex Received on Mon Aug 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message