Re: Two Forms 4.5 Questions

From: Alex Heney <a.j.heney_at_btNOinterSPAMnet.com>
Date: 1997/08/21

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:47:38 -0400, Dan Stern <dstern_at_ctp.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to populate a record group from a block that has not been
>saved to the database. I know I can loop through the records and set
>each column in the record group, but I was hoping for something more
>elegant. Anybody have a program unit they care to share?

The easiest way is to populate the record group initially when the block is populated. If you need to have all records reflected in the record group, even those not yet displayed, then populate the group from a query matching that of the block, executed in the PRE-QUERY trigger. If you only need records displayed so far, then use the POST-QUERY trigger. In either case, make sure the order is the same as in the block.

Whenever a record in the block is changed after that, you modify the appropriate row in the record group (If you have the order correct, then :SYSTEM.TRIGGER_RECORD will be the same as the row number in the block).

>Also, I am putting some polishing on the first proto-type for the users
>to try out and was wondering how to hard-code the database instance, so
>the users just have to enter their login and password.

You can set up an entry in the Oracle.ini file (or the registry for 32-bit versions) called LOCAL. If no instance is specified, then it will default to the value in that entry.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Remove XSPAM from mail_id if replying via email.
Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.