Re: How to increase the speed of Developer/2000 1.4 W when runing on appletviewer or any navigator?

From: Timothy Taylor <ttaylor_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

José Miquel wrote:

> I am working with Developer/2000 1.4 W to deploy applications that
> must run
> over any internet navigator.
> I have an important problem because when runing any FMX over the
> navigator,
> it need too much time to load the JDK, FMX and others files each time
> execute a new session over the navigator.
> I think that must exists any solution for not to have to load each
> time
> this files, and probably any others to increase the speed of
> execution.
> My name is Pepe, from Spain
> If you have any solution or coment, please send message to :
> pmiquel_at_drac.medusa.es
> Thank you.

Jose,

When you start the forms listener (f45srv32), you can specify a number of forms server processes (f45web32) to be pre-spawned. This will cut down on the time necessary to initiate an new instance of a forms app.

You can also tune the amount of Java classes that are downloaded when the applet is first sent to the client. If you have a good network connection (intranet, T1, etc) it is probably best to download a large bundle of classes at once. However, if you have a restrictive network (such as dialup), you can download a minimal set of Java classes initially and have more sent down as they are needed. See the Deploying Applications on the Web book that cam with 1.4W for the exact instructions.

By the way, the Beta of Internet Explorer 4.0 runs simple Forms apps, albeit *very* slowly. I've heard that Netscape is getting closer with the Java runtime in Communicator. Shouldn't be long until the applet viewer is no longer necessary.

Good luck,

Tim Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message