Re: Oracle ODBC

From: Steve Moreland <smoreland_at_no.spam.lanvision.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

Thomas wrote:

> Matthias Gresz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1. first you've to install the SQL-Net client including ODBC for windows
> > NT.
> > 2.Then you've got to set up SQL-Net. Use SQL-NetEasy for this task. It's
> > very easy to configure.
> > 2.a.You have to choose a name (Connect String) 'ora_sparc' f.e.
> > 2.b.then the protocol (TCP/IP) and
> > 2.c.then you've got to fill in the name of your server or it's
> > IP-number. Thus you created a connect string.
> > 3. Next Step is to administor ODBC.
> > 3.a. Choose ODBC-Administrator out of the 'Oracle for windows NT'-group.
> > 3.b. Type in an ODBC-Alias ('Data Source Name') for Oracle-Connection.
> > This name will be used f.e. by Acces to connect to Oracle.
> > 3.c. Fill in the SQL*net Connect-String you setup in 2.a. and all your
> > work is done.
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > M.Gresz :-)
>
> I got similar problem in making ODBC with in NT 4.0 ORACLE but with the
> following configuration
>
> Oracle Server 7.3.2.2.0
> SQL*Net Client 2.3.2.1.4
> SQL*Net Server 2.3.2.1.4
> Oracle ODBC Driver 1.15.3.1.0A
>
> I used ORACLE 32-bit Administrator to configure a System DSN with the
> following parameters
>
> Data Source Name : gsdb2
> Description : gsdb2
> SQL*Net Connect String : t:abi_168:ORCL
>
> In the connect string, T: is for TCP/IP protocol, abi_168 is the host
> name of the NT machine. The machine is standalone without networking.
> The ORCL is the default ORACLE SID database name.
>
> I checked the Services in Control Panel, Oracle was up. I can use
> SQL*PLUS to do all DDL and DML for the gsdb2 account inside ORCL.
>
> I used Oracle "32-bit ODBC TEST" program to test but got the following
> errors. If I try FoxPro, Access database everything fine.
>
> SQLSTATE: 08003
> Native Error Code:0
> Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open.
>
> SQLSTATE: 01000
> Native Error Code:0
> Driver Message:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver returned
> invalid (or failed to return)
> SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: %s
>
> SQLSTATE: S1000
> Native Error Code:3121
> Driver Message:[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]ORA-03121: no
> interface driver connected - function not performed.
>
> In access, using ODBC link got this error
>
> [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Connection not open. (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC
> Driver Manager] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return)
> SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER:%s (#0) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
> SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#0) [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle
> OCI]ORA-03121: no interface driver connected - function not performed.
> (#3121)
>
> Do you know how I can make the ODBC works?

> [...]
You don't need the "T:", nor the SID ("ORCL") in your SQL*Net connect string entered in ODBC Manager. These were used with V1 sqlnet, which wasn't supported past Rev 7.2.

Your connect string should match one of the names in your tnsnames.ora file. Received on Fri Aug 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message