Forms 4.5 Master-Detail Relations

From: Todd Owers <toddo_at_gcr1.com>
Date: 1997/08/14

I am experiencing two separate problems with Master-Detail relations. I wonder if they are related?

  1. When entering a compound join condition in the format:

        block1.item1 = block2.item1 OR block1.item2 = block2.item2

I get the FRM-15004 message, "Error while parsing join condition." If I enter the same join condition with an AND (instead of OR), there is no error. Also, when I use the above statement (with the OR) in the WHERE clause of a SELECT statement from the SQL*Plus command line, the query works fine. So it seems that Forms 4.5 does not accept OR clauses in a compound join condition. Am I right, or is there something I am overlooking?

2) I have several different Master-Detail relations in my form. If I delete one of the relations (the relation object itself, not the master block or detail block), Forms 4.5 deletes the CLEAR_ALL_MASTER_DETAILS, QUERY_MASTER_DETAILS, and CHECK_PACKAGE_FAILURE procedures which are common to all relations, thereby disrupting the remaining relations. This does not seem right. Now I have to create another relation just to re-create those procedures, which is unnecessary work. The documentation states that if a relation is deleted, then the master-detail triggers that were attached to the relation's master block will be deleted, but it does not say that the procedures will also be deleted.

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Todd Owers
ToddO_at_gcr1.com Received on Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message