Re: VB5 & Oracle & ODBC & RDO & OO4O

From: Kevin Jiang <kjiang_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/08/13

serge.levert_at_dsd.canadair.ca wrote:

> Hello all;

> So far we are going with RDO 2.0 & the Oracle ODBC driver (v.
> 2.0.3.1.1, which is the latest on Oracle.com), but we are not sure of
> whether we will have full functionality with this format, including
> stored procedures, locking, cursors and more. We are having some problems
> trapping multiple-user locking errors, but everything else works well so
> far (haven't tried stored procedures yet.)

You may want to try stored procedures. 3 months ago I tried RDO 2 with a Oracle driver. I can not remember if it was the newest from Oracle at the time. But their newest was not at ODBC level III anyway. I needed to pass parameters both in and out of stored procedures. I couldn't make it work so I tried the Microsoft driver that came with VB5. It has been working fine for me.

I wonder if you need to use asychronous mode. Using Microsoft driver, property StillExecuting didn't work for me (I think it works for many people). RDO 2 has an event which fires when async. queries finish. I tried to call stored procedures in async. mode. The event sometimes fired but sometimes didn't, which is effectively useless.

  • Kevin