Re: Forms 4.5 Strange Behavior -- Can you help?

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/08/11

In article <5sf85u$4mi_at_drn.zippo.com>,   Jody Lewis <lewisj2_at_wdni.com> wrote:
> I have a couple wierd things happening in my form and I was wondering if you
> could offer me any advice on how to fix these events.
>
> Here's my list:
>
> 1) I have an alert that displays when the user tries to exit the form. If
> they choose cancel it should just resume back to where they are in the form.
> However, clicking cancel causes the screen to shift over so you only see the
> right half of the form on the screen. I am not doing anything fancy here.
> All I am doing is calling a program unit to show the alert I have created.
> The alert is a 'Stop' alert with an OK and a CANCEL button.

Check where the cursor is going after the Cancel button is pressed. Forms will shift the window horizontally to keep the cursor within view.

> 2) Why would pressing the enter key on a field cause a When-Button-Pressed
> trigger to fire on a button that doesn't even get the focus. I have a text
> field that a user enters in a value and hits the tab or enter key and it
> should stay in the same block and just execute some defined code. However,
> what I find happening is that the tab key works great but the enter key
> shows the current item and cursor item as being the text item the users
> types a value into but the trigger item is a button on another canvas that
> some how acts like it gets the focus and operates like it has been pressed
> when really it hasn't.

That's wierd. It would probably help if you said what you are using to execute the code after the user enters the text. Check what trigger you are using. The Tab key causes key-next-item to run, while the Enter key has none assigned to it. Are you sure the code executing doesn't call some procedure that is also called by the when-button-pressed trigger?

> 3) Why would a form show non-base table items as being populated in the
> debugger but not in the block? This block worked properly until I changed
> some stuff so that the menu bar would be hidden and the main screen for the
> system wouldn't disappear when ever a second screen popped up.

Sounds like you have multiple canvasses and windows. In that situation, only the current canvas may be getting refreshed. Try using the synchronize command to get everything to display correctly.

Steve Cosner

Try out QA, a dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088