Re: Strange Problem

From: chris <cys4_at_columbia.edu>
Date: 1997/08/07

Vijaya L. Natarajan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a strange problem in my application.
> Can anybody please suggest what could be the problem ?
>
> I don't know how much clear it is going to be to you, but I will
> try to explain as much as I can.
>
> The problem is as follows :-
>
> I cannot update and insert data in my application during the
> same session.
> I can update and insert data during different session of the
> application.
> In otherwords, when I am inserting data in the form, suppose I want
> to query and update something I need to exit and then start over
> again to do query and update.
> The error I get is CANNOT INSERT, or CANNOT UPDATE
>
> What could be the problem I don't have any clue.
> I don't even know how to debug a form.
> Is it easy to debug a form or is it very hard to debug it ?
> The error is also not happens in a pattern
> The error can appear in any block not a particular one.
>
> If anybody has any idea, please help me to solve this problem.
> I spent around 5 days to try to solve this. But it did not work.
>
> My email address is vijayaln_at_cs.uga.edu
>
> I really appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Sincerely,
> Viji

   This sounds like a conceptual problem. I do not know if my advise is relavent or enough to solve your problem, but here it is. There is something called entry point. Before you think about that, try to read up on SYSTEM.MODE. When a user enters a form. He/She can enter it in a QUERY mode or NORMAL mode. If you are going into a form in QUERY mode, you will not be able to INSERT or UPDATE. If you get a record by querying, you will be in a query mode. Think about that and see if you need to check the MODE handling in your form.

Chris Received on Thu Aug 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message