Re: Help !! Performance Problems with Windows NT4.0

From: Dr. Memory <orphan-annie_at_dont.your-eyes>
Date: 1997/08/04

A mist arosy from the scrying-bowl, and briang_at_hostmail.mnsinc.com (BG) was heard to utter:
>We Recently had a performance problem on 3 different Servers with the
>following configurations:
>
>[CPU 200 MHz Pentium , 64 Ram, and 4 Gig Disk Drive].

Are you using F/W SCSI? Caching controller?

>They are new DELL'S shipped with Windows95 which we installed Windows
>NT 4.0 Server. The machines initially ran fine, but after we
>installed Oracle 7.3 and a database of a million rows, the
>applications on the server began to run very slow.....For instance,

Have you collected statistics using NT's performance monitoring tools? You should be able to track down what you're running out of (memory, I/O bandwidth, etc). If reinstalling NT helped, then do a fresh install on one machine and compare the statistics on that one with the stats from one of your slow machines and see what's different.

BTW, IE is real resource pig. I wouldn't run it on a DB server. Received on Mon Aug 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message