Re: DB_BLOCK_SIZE: Misinformation?

From: Mark Preston <footseer-NOSPAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/08/04

On 1 Aug 1997 15:45:13 GMT, satarnag_at_aol.com (SatarNag) wrote:

>In regards to changing the DB-Block_Size without re-creating your
>database, I must have been misinformed, Upon looking up in my
>documentation, it says it must be done on the creation of the database. I
>have just completed the Oracle DBA master's coarse (Oracle 7.3), offered
>by Oracle....And in my notes, i wrote down that the Block Size can be
>changed and that the database will start useing the new size and will
>adjust accordingly...I wrote this down cause I thought it was nice that it
>can be done. Maybe it still can be done, and that it's not documented in
>the books. I apoligize if I am mistaken. Maybe it's in Version 8???
>
>Satar Naghshineh

In Oracle7 you can not change the block size of your database. If you change db_block_size, you will not be able to start your database since the size is also recorded in the control file. If it doesn't match the control file, it will not start till you set it back.

There was talk about having tablespace with different block sizes in Oracle8. I don't remember if that is there now, or possible in the future after 8.0.3. Received on Mon Aug 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message