Re: Need some Pro*C advice (want to ditch SQL Loader)

From: John A. Kroll <krollj_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/08/02

John P. Higgins wrote:

> Phillip Oles wrote:
> >
> > Here's my advice, stay away form Pro C and use Oracle's OCI. As
 of
> > Oracle8, Oracle no longer supports Pro C. Besides the OCI is
> better.
>
> --
> Pro*C has a number of enhancement for Oracle8:
> Array of Structs
> Changing Passwords at Runtime
> Support for National Character Sets
> CHAR_MAP Precompiler Option
> New Names for SQLLIB Functions
> Object Type Support
> Object Type Translator
> Migration From Pro*C/C++ Release 2
>
> John P. Higgins Voice: (309)765-7868
> Deere & Company Fax: (309)765-7800
> John Deere Road Internet: jh33378nospam_at_deere.com
> Moline, IL 61265 Opinions: My Own

While OCI has some advantages, a big advantage of using Pro*C is for projects that support multiple databases (or may some day have to port to another database). All of your OCI code would need to be rewritten to support this, while the majority of Pro*C code could be ported intact. Received on Sat Aug 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message