Re: My woes continue

From: Thor HW <thor_at_echidna.net>
Date: 1997/07/30

> > >1) A complex query can 'crash' the database and cause corruption of
> > >data.

Only if there is a serious bug, and we haven't seen any like this. You can grind the server to its knees with a complex query requiring lots of full tablescans, sorting etc. but there are better solutions than just telling people to bugger off.
In 7.1.x you could issues a set of PL/SQL statements that would crash YOUR server session ... but never the whole database!

> > >2) Running Personal Oracle on a client (user) machine can 'crash' the
> > >database and cause corruption of data
There is a group in NewZealand that uses the local personal oracle db as kind of a standby for their remote users ...

> > >3) Running Developer/2000 on a client machine can 'crash' the database
> > >and cause corruption of data.

I'm sure the Developer/2000 team would take odds against this one. We have 13 applications running across 24 servers (remote/distributed) and haven't had a problem yet.

Sounds like you need to call your Oracle pre-sales guys and have them talk to the guy who signs the checks. If the above is really true for your site ... then your upper management will want to migrate off of Oracle OR they'll fix your problem for you.
Thor HW Received on Wed Jul 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message