Re: OPO: Frustration ....

From: Loren Davidson <loren_at_batnet.nospam.com>
Date: 1997/07/26

In article <01bc9863$d5bdc7e0$8c764dc2_at_buero>, "Bernhard Weichel" <bernhard.weichel_at_dctb.de> wrote:
>I am somewhat frustrated using OPO :-(

It's one of those tools that people either swear by or swear at...and I think most OPO developers do more of the latter, from my experience.

I only have thoughts on a couple of your questions:

>Grids - a mess, since there is no lookup feature for some fields

I haven't tried using grids yet. I've managed to do fairly well with repeaters.

>TabControl - I do not manage to place the subform in the control. No real
>life example
> available - but if you make an error, OPO hangs

Are you sure that you don't have two controls with the same TabOrder value? That will hang you.

>tooltips

You can probably simulate these by placing tooltip text items (labels, boxes) next to your toolbar items, then toggling the VISIBLE property of these in the MouseOver() method of the corresponding toolbar item. There's apparently a "how to" for this in the new "Mastering Oracle Power Objects" book by Rick Greenwald & Robert Hoskin, though I haven't delved deeply into that section yet.

>2. what is the approach if we want to perform translations in a column like
>the translation property in lists?

Well, I'd look at using either a SQLLOOKUP against a reference table in the underlying database, or build a translation table in a standalone recordset when initializing the form, then query against it in the OnLoad() property of your grid, repeater or text control. Again, I haven't tried this yet, but it would be the place I'd start.

>Is there any experience out there?

Sure...some of it frustrating, same as yours. :) Sorry I can't help you with the other items. Good luck.

Loren

--
Loren Davidson
loren_at_wombat.net         http://www.batnet.com/beauty/