PL/SQL Tip of the Month

From: Campbell White <Preveal2_at_vni.net>
Date: 1997/07/21

July's Tip of the Month!

On Oracle Release 7.3 and above, the SET SERVEROUTPUT command has an undocumented option of FORMAT WRAPPED. When you specify this option, output from the DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE procedure will wrap to the SQL*Plus line size and leading blanks will not be trimmed. Example:

      SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SIZE 10000000 FORMAT WRAPPED New tips will be added each month to the "PL/SQL Pipeline" - an online community for PL/SQL developers hosted by RevealNet. You can find it at http://www.revealnet.com/plsql-pipeline

The "PL/SQL Pipeline" is hosted by PL/SQL author Steven Feuerstein and includes several areas of interest:

  • "Pipe Talk" - a sophisticated Conference Center subdivided into specific areas of Oracle development interests.
  • "Puzzler" - Solve our monthly PL/SQL puzzle, and your name will be entered into a drawing for free technical books from O'Reilly & Assoc.
  • "Archives" - A library of free White Papers & Presentations
  • "Diary" - Steven Feuerstein's monthly column on Oracle observations, PL/SQL insights, and outlook on the world.

You are invited to join the "PL/SQL Pipeline" - and we encourage your participation.

Best wishes,

Cam White
RevealNet, Inc.
(800) 738-3254