Uploading entire files through Oracle?

From: ben <ben.chen_at_ualberta.ca>
Date: 1997/07/12

I am working on a project to migrate an existing database/CGI/web package that I wrote, into Oracle and eventually Oracle Web Server and I am not entirely sure how to approach it.

Basically we have an RCS/SCCS flat Unix database of SGML documents that are constantly updated through the web by making CGI calls to SCCS. Entire files are uploaded through HTML3.0's file upload option in web browser forms like in Netscape.

What I'd like to do is put all the tags in each SGML document into fields in a table in Oracle. So my question is, is it possible to use something like Developer2000 to make an HTML Oracle form that can upload a file from the hard drive of a user's machine running Netscape, parse the tags in the file using preferably Perl (but whatever works) and then put the contents of the tags into fields in an Oracle table? OR should I keep the whole thing in CGI and make calls from there to PL/SQL or something? Are there scripts to automate this?

What tools, apps would I need to upload files like that and are there any good books dealing with this specifically? I have access to Oracle Server, Web Server, and Developer2000. Do I need anything else?
Thanks

  • Ben ben.chen_at_ualberta.ca