Re: My woes continue

From: Chris Hamilton <chrish_at_wnmail.att.com>
Date: 1997/07/09

Joost Ouwerkerk <owrkrj_at_mailhub.sickkids.on.ca> wrote in article ...

> My suspicion is that if any of these are true, there is a server
> tuning problem. My DBA is suggesting no queries be run while data
> entry is occuring (during business hours) and is threatening to remove
> Personal Oracle and Dev/2000 from my computer because of the damage
> I'm supposedly causing. Am I going crazy?

You are sane. Your DBA is crazy.

Sounds like a DBA who has little idea of how to install and configure Oracle, and is trying to cover that up. Several jobs ago, I ran a production database (on Solaris) with all-day simultaneous data entry, bulk-loading, and querying. Oh, the occasional untuned query would slow things up, but crashing the database, no way.

I don't see how a Personal Oracle DB on a client could impact a server at all, unless you were doing transactions against the server database while you THOUGHT you were connected to the personal database. If the TNSNAMES.ORA file and aliases are properly configured on your client, it shouldn't interfere with the server at all. Just know which one you're connected to.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- chrish_at_wnmail.att.com AT&T WorldNet Service -- Lincroft, NJ
City of Washington Pipe Band -- USA
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Wed Jul 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message