Re: sqlldr and large text files

From: John Caputo <caputo1_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1997/07/09

Lisa M. Lewis wrote:

> I am trying to load a larger ( > 256 and < 500 ) character string with
> sqlldr. I am using d:\orant\bin\sqlldr73.exe ( 3/8/97). It is not
> working and I'm not sure why. I have read the previous posts on this
> topic and feel that I have complied. Can anyone help?
>
> The error I get is as follows in the log file:
>
> Record 15384: Rejected - Error on table LOCATIONS, column LOCATION
> ORA-02359: Field in data file exceeded maximum specified length
>
> The following entry ends up in the bad file:
> [Quoted]
> "/regional/countries/canada/provinces_and_territories/ontario/counties_and_regions/greater_toronto_area__gta_/metropolitan_toronto/north_york/education/colleges_and_universities/york_university/departments_and_programs/writers_in_electronic_residence__wier__program/"
> 35702

Lisa,

I have had no trouble with sqlldr loading fields up to 2000 characters in length, as long as the input file doesn't have a CR or LF in it per input record. If you are using sqlldr on a unix platform, the / might be causing it a problem also(?). I also had to include TRAILING NULLCOLS in my control file to get rid of some problems. My input data was terminated by tabs. I'm going to try a test with your string and my control file. I'll let you know how it goes.

John Caputo                              Lawrence Livermore
Email: caputo1_at_llnl.gov                    National Laboratory
Phone: (510) 422-5262                    P.O.Box 808, L-650
Mon-Thu  7:30 AM-5:30 PM - Off Fri       Livermore, CA   94551