Re: A PROBLEM FACED WITH OCA PLL

From: Art Clarke <fool_at_ofb.net>
Date: 1997/07/08

Why are you using the OCA PLL? Are you trying to maintain two connections within Forms? You should be able to connect to CA-Datacom as you would Oracle by specifing "ODBC:{Your Data Source Name}" as your SQL*Net connect string.

However, if you still need to use OCA.PLL, there is a new version available. Actually, OCA.PLL has been made obsolete, and is replaced by a new package that allows multiple connections, with bind variable support, to any database (not just OCA -- You can do Oracle data bases as well). The package, called EXEC_SQL, is available now for 32 Bit Developer/2000 1.3.2 as a patch from world wide support.

For backwards compatability, we have provided OCA.PLL written using EXEC_SQL, but we recommend you move your application to EXEC_SQL, as OCA.PLL will not be around for ever. Contact Oracle support and ask for OCA 1.0.14.5.0 patch to Developer/2000 to get this new product.

Note for anyone else reading: Yes, EXEC_SQL allows multiple connections to as many data sources as you want from within a Developer/2000 application, and lets you fetch rows. It is basically DBMS_SQL, but connection based, and has no problems because of PL/SQL incompatabilities on the server end (since it is entirely client side based). Currently EXEC_SQL is provided with the Oracle Open Client Adapter, but it does not use the Open Client Adapter unless you connect to a ODBC data source.

Also, in Developer/2000 Version 2.0, EXEC_SQL can be used to manipulate the same connection that your Developer/2000 application is using ( in 1.3.2, you cannot manipulate the same connection D2K is using, unless it is an OCA connection). If you are interested in being a Developer/2000 2.0 beta site, contact Oracle.

  • Art Clarke Open Interfaces Group aclarke_at_us.oracle.com