Re: editing in sql*plus

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: 1997/07/03

[This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.tools and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <5p0fl2$fla_at_news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>, Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.de says...
> Hi, the line editing in sql*plus is awksome. sql*plus supports the
> edit command but that's about it. Arrowkeys do not work, a history is
> not supported. Beeing like that, any to-date shell is far ahead in its
> editing capabilities.
>
> Am I missing something? Can the arrowkeys and history be enabled for
> SQL*Plus?

I've never understood why Oracle didn't hire a summer intern to knock out a reasonable interface for SQL*PLUS. If you have access to emacs there is a nice sqlplus mode that was written (I believe) by Jim Lange at Oracle that lets you run sql*plus from a edit buffer so you can cut and paste from previous commands. I used it for a while but I eventually got tired of trying to maintain emacs on a half a dozen different platforms and switch to vim instead.

--rick Received on Thu Jul 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message