Re: 16 bit Application Connection Problem

From: W. Lyne Eaker <eaker01_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/07/02

meadeblm_at_gnt.net wrote:

> On 10 Jun 1997 01:06:57 GMT, "Frederick Koo" <fkoo_at_g7systems.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I am desperately looking for an answer to the following question:
> >
> >Under NT4.0 Workstation and Personal Oracle for NT, on the same machine,
> >how does one connect to Oracle using TCP/IP loopback to the NT4.0 Oracle
> >database with a 16 bit SQL*NET TCP/IP driver (note the standard oracle
> >connection uses 32 bit TNS). We want to be able to do this, so that we
> >can connect the current production version of Cognos Impromptu (V3.5)
> >which is only 16bit, to the 32bit Oracle database all running on the
> >same portable.
> >
> >Any valuable input would be appreciated!
> >

> This is a good question. I am trying to connect to Personal Oracle on
> a Win95 box with Forms 4.5 running on the same machine. If somebody
> knows how to doe this, I would be very interested in the answer.

[Quoted] I am currently doing this on my Win95-based laptop for about a month. I did the install like this:

Install Win95
Install the 16-bit Oracle tools
Install PO7 for Win95 -- it will "find" the 16-bit apps and copy some replacement DLLs.

That's it! At least for me this has worked just fine. I also installed Designer/2000 in this manner and it worked. Now I have noticed a few problems:

  1. In forms4.5 if you open a library that references objects in the database, forms locks up -- all 32-bit applications work, but forms doesn't do anything. To solve this problem, do NOT be connected to the database when you open the library. After opening the library, connect to the database and everything works fine.
  2. Save often. I get a number of GPFs in Des/2000 and Forms everyday using this configuration.
  3. If the 16-bit tool appears to hang do the following to try and get control back (it doesn't always work, but it often has for me): while the 16-bit app is misbehaving, stop the database (i.e. do a shutdown). Often once the 16-bit app realizes the database is gone will "wake" up and start working. Save your work. You can try to re-start the database and try working again, but I've often had to actually reboot to get things working.

Hope this helps. Received on Wed Jul 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message