Re: ORA-12505 error?

From: JHY <jhy_at_earthling.net>
Date: 1997/07/01

Joe Hegyi wrote:

> Can someone tell me what an ORA-12505 error is? I keep getting it when I
> try to connect with Enterprise Manager to any of the databases I've made.
> Connecting to the starter database works OK. I've checked everthing in
> SQL*NET Easy Config, but don't find anything unusual. The HTML docs don't
> list the error code. I'm running Server 7.3 on NT 4.0, and connecting
> with
> NT Workstation 4.0.
>
> As you can tell, I'm a newbie, so any help would be appreciated! :)
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

ORA–12505 TNS:Listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor The SID in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener’s tables. Check to make sure that the SID specified is correct. The SIDs that are supported can be obtained by typing LSNRCTL STATUS SERVICE_NAME and matching the SID specified in TNSNAMES.ORA with one of the SIDs displayed
in the services summary.

My guess is that you need to add the SID's of the databases you've created
to the LISTNER.ORA file on your server. You need to stop and restart the OracleTNSListener service after you make any changes to this file.

BTW, most of these error codes can be found in the "Oracle Networking Products Messages Manual." There should be an HTML version among your docs.

--
- Jim Yoshii

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all nonsolicited commercial e-mail sent to
this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount
of $500 US.

E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.