SQL-type Formatting of a char(6) and a Long datatype ?

From: Noodles <noodles_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/06/28

SQL gurus,

I'm trying to extract a char(6) column and a long text datatype out of a table into the following format:

char(6) long text (avg len=1400 char)

col1 	col2(line#1)
       	col2(line#2)
		col2(line#3)
		col2(line #n)

<next record>
col1 col2(line#1) col2(line#2) col2(line#3) col2(line #n)

etc....

Basically I need to "break" on the column1 data yet perform a word-wrap within the column long text data. The column 2 data needs to be in 77-byte fields and the column 1 data needs to be in a 6-byte field.

When I set the long length to accomodate the longest text string, my output looks like the following:

col1

col2(line #1)
col2(line#2)
col2(line#3)
col2(line #n)

<next record>

col1
col2(line #1)
col2(line#2)
col2(line#3)
col2(line #n)

I don't know PL/SQL and I'm not sure spending the time to learn it would eventually solve the problem. Can this type of extraction/formatting be done with SQL or pl/SQL ?

TIA,
Cliff
(cbuetikofer_at_isinet.com)
(noodles_at_aol.com) Received on Sat Jun 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message