Convertin hex string to raw

From: Timothy C. Bracey <tcbracey_at_st.usm.edu>
Date: 1997/06/25

Does anyone know how to convert a hexidecimal string to a raw value. The character string in 80 characters in length which represent 10 hexidecimal values. For example, we converted to longitude value of 37.7 to 377000000 by multiplying 37.7 by 10 to the 7th to get a whole number. We then converted the large integer value to it's hex equivalent. We did the same for the other 9 values and concatenated them all together as one long string to save space of having to store all the longitude values in seperate fields. Also this was done becase the values are points of a polygon which represent a country. Now that we have all the points stored as one contiguos string, how do we store this value into a raw or long raw value. I pondered the possibility of using the hextoraw function, but it only works on one single hex value and not a string of hex values. I've even pondered breaking up the hex string using the substr function to convert each value to a raw. I can do that, but I don't need x many raw values I need one raw equivalent of the hex string. I hope I have carefully explained my problem. Any suggestions or help is welcomed. Thank you.

--

Timothy Corey Bracey
Southern Station Box 4591

Original text of this message