Re: How to use repository?

From: Brit Willoughby <bwilloughby_at_lucent.com>
Date: 1997/06/24

In article <5oof70$8c7_at_camelot.dsccc.com>, jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com says...

>The answer to your question:
>
>: Now, I'll be dipped if I can figure out how to get Dev2000 to
>: take that form & table and dump out a executable file on my PC so I can
>: run it.

>The answer to your problem is to not to use the tool as your are using it.

        Not sure what you mean here, all I want to do (for now) is put a form on the web to allow viewing of records in a table. We have the Java Cartridge. I'd like to get it to just dump out Java source code so I can "tweak" on it and compile it with the Sun compiler.

>You need to find a better book.

        I'm going to get 3 or 4 new ones this week.

>You need to make your boss send you to a good class on the tool.

        This will happen this fall. Until then, I'm trying to get a simple web/applet/database program up and running.

>In a nutshell, You need to:
> define your process flow
> design the application in the Enity Relationship designer
> create your attributes under each Enity
> create your function definitions.
> map your function usage to your Enity usage.
> use the database wizard to create the database/indexes

        The data base already exists, has several thousand tables, and a few million records in it. All the relationships already exist. My boss would frown if I overwrote it. :) That's why I created a simple table and form. Once I have that running, I can expand on it.

        Can I do all the above (except create the actual database) on existing tables I have reverse engineered and added to the repository?

BOTTOM LINE:

	I have database. I have forms. I have OWS. I want to put the
        database & forms into the repository and generate Java
        applets so i can query & update the tables through a web browser.
	Can I do this with Dev2000?

If I can't, I need to know now, so I can start looking for a tool that will do the job before we waste a lot of time & money on Dev2000.

        Thanks...

                Brit Willoughby Received on Tue Jun 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message