Re: Interview Question

From: Saeed Rana <saeed_at_nms-sys-ltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/21

The following are a list of questions that I personnaly have come across, although I must admit that the interview for the my current job (as a contractor) contained no technical questions. It rested on this question:

How would you react if you were presented with the Tart of The Week Trophy in front of the whole office ???

Well, why not ?? Anyway, I've listed the ones I can remember, and I hasten to add that these were not all asked at just one interview.

  1. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of database triggers.
  2. You notice that certain columns in your database appear to be loosing the century (e.g 10-DEC-0097). Discuss the steps you would take to find the root of the problem and how you would solve it ?
  3. What are the main differences between Forms 3 and Forms 4 (excuse me ??)
  4. A report is required of age-bands and counts in the table:
    PER_NAME     VARCHAR2 (40) NOT NULL,
    PER_DOB      DATE          NOT NULL,
    PER_ADDRESS  VARCHAR2 (100)

  The age bands are < 20, 21 - 25, 26 - 30, 31 - 35, 36 - 50, > 50.   How would you do it ?

5. In the development environment, programmers take local copies of the main tables and work on them so as not to trash one anothers test data. How would you take a copy of a table togther with triggers, constraints, indexes attached to it ?

6. How would you delete all rows from a table but retain its storage area ?

7. How would you run batch jobs in PL/SQL on UNIX but keep the username password hidden (dont say '/') from prying 'ps -efa' eyes ?

8, Consider the following:

   SELECT a.policy_number,

          b.policy_status
   FROM policy a,

          policy_state b
   WHERE b.status_date =

          (
             SELECT max(c.status_date)
             FROM   policy_state c
             WHERE  c.policy_number = a.policy_number
          )

   AND a.policy_number = b.policy_number;

   How might you use indices and hints to improve the above query.

9. What are indicator variable used for (in Pro*C) ?

  1. When SET_ITEM_PROPERTY (<item_name>, DISPLAYED, PROPERTY_FALSE) is used, what other properties are implicitly changed that have to explicity switched on when DISPLAYED is set TRUE ?
  2. What care must be taken when dragging and dropping a database stored procedure to a Forms 4.5 program unit ?
  3. What are advantages and disadvantages of file/database storage of Dev 2000 libraries (pll) ?
  4. Discuss what is involved in ensuring that a Forms 4.5 form can be operated solely via keystrokes (under windows) in addition to the mouse ??
  5. When would you use check boxes, radio groups, LOV's ??
  6. How would you communicate with a server side process from forms ??
  7. Discuss the pro's and cons of using referenced blocks, standards LOV's, or called forms for providing a pick-list (lookup) facility ?
  8. What bugs have you come across in forms, reports, Oracle 7.3.2 ??
  9. Discuss the pro's and con's of OPS$ accounts (Hint, client server).
  10. What new features, enhancement would you make if you were in charge of Forms 5, 6 development at Oracle ? (Phrased differenetly, what do you find annoying about forms)

I think the last question is good for determining exactly the level of experience the interviewee has.

Let me know when a fully compiled list is available.

Regards

--
Saeed Rana