Re: sqlldr and large text feilds

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/06/19

[Quoted] On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:19:44 -0700, John Caputo <caputo1_at_llnl.gov> wrote:

>Matt Southcott wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to load a file that contains descriptions that are
>> in excess of 900 characters. I have found that sqlldr won't import a
>> field larger than 256 characters. Is there a setting for sqlldr to
>> overcome this problem.
>>
>> Matt
>
>I have had no problem loading text files, delimited by tabs, with fields
>up to 2000 characters. What release of sqlldr are you using? We are on
>7.1.3. You must define the table you want to load with a column that is
>VARCHAR2(2000). If the data type of the column is CHAR, you can only get
>a max of 256 characters. This is all documented in the SQL Language
>Reference. I don't think you have a sqlldr problem.

I presume Matt has a delimited, vaiable length field that is causing him troubles. When the field is delimited (you can't specify its exact position) its maximum length can be only 255 characters.

As to workarounds: sorry, I don't know of any :-(

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
tel: +386 61 178 55 14                  Ministry of Finance
fax: +386 61  21 45 84                  Zupanciceva 3
e-mail: jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si Ljubljana 1000