Re: sqlldr and large text feilds

From: John Caputo <caputo1_at_llnl.gov>
Date: 1997/06/19

Matt Southcott wrote:

> I have been trying to load a file that contains descriptions that are
> in excess of 900 characters. I have found that sqlldr won't import a
> field larger than 256 characters. Is there a setting for sqlldr to
> overcome this problem.
>
> Matt

[Quoted] I have had no problem loading text files, delimited by tabs, with fields up to 2000 characters. What release of sqlldr are you using? We are on 7.1.3. You must define the table you want to load with a column that is VARCHAR2(2000). If the data type of the column is CHAR, you can only get a max of 256 characters. This is all documented in the SQL Language Reference. I don't think you have a sqlldr problem.

John Caputo                              Lawrence Livermore
Email: caputo1_at_llnl.gov                    National Laboratory
Phone: (510) 422-5262                    P.O.Box 808, L-650
Mon-Thu  7:30 AM-5:30 PM - Off Fri       Livermore, CA   94551