ODBC and SQL*Net v2.1.5

From: (wrong string) é <victorbm_at_mx2.redestb.es>
Date: 1997/06/18

Our problem is:

        We are building a large Windows 3.1 application with Visual Basic 3.0 which has been connecting to Oracle through ODBC 2.0 (with the SQORA.DLL driver) and SQL*Net v1.2.9.

        This is totally normal, but the application is composed by several executable files which have been using an unique connection for all of them. ODBC needs tree handles to access to Oracle data: handle to the enviromment, hENV; handle to the connection, hDBC; and a handle to the statement, hSTMT; so we were passing the hENV and the hDBC (which was allocated in the first EXE) between EXEs and allocating memory for the hSTMT in each one. It works very well and reduces lots of time while going from one EXE to another.

        Now we are using the SQORA73N.DLL driver for ODBC and SQL*Net v2.1.5. and the problems begin to appear:

        Once we pass the handles of the connection to the second EXE we allocate memory for the Statement succesfully, but when it makes its first SELECT, the following message is presented: ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure. And both EXEs loose the connection.

        We have a lot of questions, so we were pleased if you answer to some of them:

        ¿What are the differences between the following products which could cause the loosing of the connection?

	¿How SQL*Net v2.1.5. and SQORA73N.DLL manages the connection?
	¿Why Oracle return us the error message (ORA-12571)?
	¿How can we solve this problem?

Thank you for helping us.

[...]

Thank you for helping us. Received on Wed Jun 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message