Re: Extracting Data From Oracle

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_"at".logica."dot".com>
Date: 1997/06/17

Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_sprintmail.com> wrote in article <01bc7aad$fb6a4d70$11f0dfdf_at_sprintmail>...
> This is fairly trivial to do using Sqlplus
>
> eg.
> table fred
> x number
> y date
>
> Select x||','||y from fred;
>
> There also numerous more sophisticated ways of doing this depending the
> scale of your problem and the tools you have available.
>
> Charles D DeVries <cdevries_at_link.com> wrote in article
> <33A585EF.DAF19651_at_link.com>...
> > Maybee this is a RTFM but I sure can't find it. We have recently
> > migrated an application from a Sybase database to an Oracle database
 for
> > the maintenance tool. Due to several requirements for the data we
 still
> > have the need to extract the data from Oracle and reimport it into
> > Sybase on a nightly basis. I have yet to be able to figure out how to
> > get data out of Oracle in a CSV type format for reimport.

I would suspect that there is an Oracle Transparent Gateway for Sybase, which mught make the whole process much easier--you can then do the update using SQL only, withgou having to create temp files etc. It will cost (how much, I dont know), but will it cost as much as your time and aggro?

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd