Re: IMP using file on another server and remote shell

From: Lutz Birkhahn <suwelack_at_self.de>
Date: 1997/06/16

Scott wrote:
> I would like to do an import into a local database using a file on a
> remote server. Does import
> allow the pipe command.

As far as I know, you can't im/export through stdin or stdout. But if you are on Unix, you can use a named pipe to redirect the imp/exp files. We use that approach to compress the output file of exp while it is written:

   mknod $DUMP_FILE p
   gzip -f <$DUMP_FILE >$DUMP_FILE.gz &
   exp user/passwd CONSISTENT=YES FULL=Y FILE=$DUMP_FILE

I think your problem could be solved with the following lines:

   mknod dump_file p
   rsh remote-server 'cat remote_dump_file' >dump_file&    imp user/passwd [...] FILE=dump_file
   rm dump_file

(probably rsh is called remsh on your computer)

Hope it helps,
Lutz

--
Lutz Birkhahn - Systemadministrator - 02543 / 72-233
Dr. Otto Suwelack Nachf. GmbH & Co, 48727 Billerbeck