Re: Interview Question

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1997/06/15

Amin Adatia wrote:
> snip
> Paul Brewer wrote:
> >
> > In article <3394E27F.241D_at_ntsource.com>, Frank Hubeny
> > <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> writes
> > >I have been able to eliminate about 50% of the candidates that get
 snip
> > It is certainly not a tool for end users. In the 1990's, end users
> > should not have to learn SQL. They click on the information they want
> > and we provide it.
>snip
> Amin Adatia

Just another $0.02 worth:

I thought the issue was the selection of a DBA. At least that was the subject of the thread.
A DBA needs to KNOW the SQL language. A DBA is NOT an end user. While I agree 100% that end users
in the 90s should not have to learn SQL, extending that thought to the DBA comunity is sheer
madness. DBAs need to have some knowledge of the language they use to control the database and how
that database operates, period. Therefore, in ORACLE's case, they need to know SQL.
If they use SQL*Plus or some other tool to prove their knowledge (and "Hello world!" is NOT knowledge!), that is imaterial.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_acay.com.au Received on Sun Jun 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message