Re: Interview Question

From: Richard Hoffbeck <rwh_at_visi.com>
Date: 1997/06/13

In article <3394E27F.241D_at_ntsource.com>, Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> writes

>I have been able to eliminate about 50% of the candidates that get
>past nontechnical screenings by simply asking them if they can do an
>"hello world" program in the language in which they claim to be expert.

> So, the first question I would ask someone who claims to be expert in
>SQL on Oracle would be
>
> Display the string "hello world" in SQL*Plus.

What a lot of dilbertized management types don't seem to understand is that the market for qualified people is a sellers market, and if you insist on asking boneheaded questions you'll end up hiring people who find boneheaded questions interesting :-) Mr Hubeny may have eliminated 50% of the candidates with his question but the equally important question is how any candidates eliminated him with the same question?

--rick Received on Fri Jun 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message