Re: Interview Question

From: Paul Brewer <paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/12

[Quoted] In article <33A0323C.65B_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com>, "R. Fingerson" <rfinger_at_netmail.mnet.uswest.com> writes
>Steve Dover wrote:
>>
>> Frank Hubeny wrote:
>> >
>> > I have been able to eliminate about 50% of the candidates that get
>> > past nontechnical screenings by simply asking them if they can do an
>> > "hello world" program in the language in which they claim to be expert.
>> >
>> > So, the first question I would ask someone who claims to be expert in
>> > SQL on Oracle would be
>> >
>> > Display the string "hello world" in SQL*Plus.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Hubeny
>> > fhubeny_at_ntsource.com
>> > Wheaton, IL 60187
>
>I must agree with a previous poster that this would be no real
>test for an oracle developer or DBA. Many people who are
>skilled in SQL*PLUS, and could answer this question in three
>or four ways are nowhere near the technical level that I
>would expect in my technical interviewees. SQL*PLUS expert
>does not an Oracle expert make.
>
>Now, to backtrack a little, I have caught self proclaimed
>"experts" in PL/SQL and forms with very simple questions --
>but I've also realized that an inability to answer a rather
>strange "simple" question is not a reason to eliminate
>people. I deal every day with pretty complex problems,
>and if someone asked out of the blue for me to do this,
>chances are I'd freeze for a minute or two before I
>could answer. Most of my tech interviews are full of
>"situational" questions -- how would you solve this....
>type things, which give me a much better idea of how
>skilled someone is.
>
>Robin

Thanks for the agreement. In any case, if what they want is a SQL*Plus expert rather than an Oracle expert, he/she would undoubtedly suggest 'prompt hello world' rather than selecting anything from anywhere.

--
Paul Brewer