Re: Using C functions in Oracle

From: Bo Stern <bo_stern_at_iname.com>
Date: 1997/06/11

Hi Roger,

Basically, there are 3-4 ways of doing it:

  1. Pack your C functions into a shared object (on Windows a DLL) and access them via the ORA_FFI (Foreign Function Interface) Forms builtins. Use eg. the FFIGEN utility to assist with the declaration of the pl/sql interface.
  2. Call them through the HOST() Forms builtin (like calling a program from the command line).
  3. Use the DMBS_PIPE plsql package to interface between Forms and a C program deamon (listening on a pipe).
  4. As a last resort, implement a Forms userexit. This is the most complex solution, both with respect to maintainability and scope. It however provides very close integration between your C functions and the internal Forms environment (direct access to text items and more). Check out the Forms Advanced Techniques manual.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Bo

Roger Jongen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two functions written in ANSI C, how can i use them in Oracle
> Forms 4.5 ?
> Can somebody tell me how to do it ?? Accessing the C functions in
> Oracle
> Forms ??
>
> Thanks

MSc. Bo Stern                         Office: Phone +45 44 80 84 12
Systems Engineer/Technical Analyst            Fax   +45 44 80 80 91
Oracle Denmark A/S                            Email bo_stern_at_iname.com
***************** http://home5.inet.tele.dk/bo_stern *****************
      The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and
          do not necessarily represent those of my employer.