Assignment using item ID

From: Doermann, Jochen <jochen.doermann_at_doit.wisc.edu>
Date: 1997/06/10

--------------AD56F003FB84135173EC2E2A

Is there a way to assign a value to an item using the item ID?

I have "an array" of items. They're all named xx1, xx2, xx3, ... xx50. I'm assigning a value to these items by building the item name and then using the COPY procedure.

for k 1..50
  item_name := 'xx' || to_char(k);
  copy(to_char(k), item_name;
end for;

The problem is that the COPY procedure can only deal with character values. I can't assign a numeric value using COPY. It would be nice if I could do something like:

for k 1..50
  item_name := 'xx' || to_char(k);
  item_id := find_item(item_name);
  [the item pointed to by item_id] := k; end for;

Any ideas?

TIA -- Jochen
--------------AD56F003FB84135173EC2E2A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Doermann, Jochen
n:              Doermann;Jochen
org:            Univ of Wisconsin - Division of Information Technology
adr:            1210 W Dayton St - Rm 2237;;;Madison;WI;53706;USA
email;internet: jochen.doermann_at_doit.wisc.edu
tel;work:       (608) 263-3772
tel;fax:        (608) 263-8855

x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE