Re: Interview Question

From: Amin Adatia <tmpaadatia_at_ptc.com>
Date: 1997/06/10

Paul Brewer wrote:

> In article <3394E27F.241D_at_ntsource.com>, Frank Hubeny
> <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> writes
> >I have been able to eliminate about 50% of the candidates that get
> >past nontechnical screenings by simply asking them if they can do an
> >"hello world" program in the language in which they claim to be expert.
> >
> > So, the first question I would ask someone who claims to be expert in
> >SQL on Oracle would be
> >
> > Display the string "hello world" in SQL*Plus.
> >
> Sorry, I have to disagree.
> Doubtless I'm about to be burned at he stake, but as far as I'm
> concerned, a SQL*Plus expert is not necessarily an Oracle expert. For
> me, SQL*Plus is primarily an environment for running pre-prepared
> scripts - usually on or against the server, and maybe for quick and
> dirty queries or fixes.
> It is _not_ a tool for ad-hoc querying, ad-hoc reporting or scheduled
> reporting, or for that matter for edlin-style editing. There are much
> better tools available.
> It is certainly not a tool for end users. In the 1990's, end users
> should not have to learn SQL. They click on the information they want
> and we provide it.
> Regards
> Paul Brewer

Hi!

Only a slight quibble. No body clicks on Information; they click on data and then use some algorithm to convert it into Information. Producing a formated listing of the data (Customer List) which does not show say, Credit Available based on Pre_Set_Credit_Limit, Orders_Placed, Invoiced_Amount_Outstanding, (etc?) is not information just a spewing of data which will (and should) end up in the shredder (directly from the printer if I had my way!).

Also SQL*Plus is an Oracle implementation of SQL. What if the person is really good at SQL_92?

Regards

--
Amin Adatia
KnowTech Solutions Inc (	amin_at_istar.ca	(613)226-8378 )