Re: Designer and Oracle database connect string

From: Ronald Hijdra <hijdra_at_icim.nl>
Date: 1997/06/09

Gerd Graßhoff wrote:

> I have the preview editions of Personal Oracle and Designer running and
> I would like to use the Generation Wizard to connect to my locally
> installed PO database. However, when I insert in the form User ID,
> Passwd and Connect String, I always get an error "Failed to connect
> to database". In fact I don't know how the connect string has to look
> like.
>
> The file TNSNAMERS.ORA contains an entry for "anyname.world" and
> a SID instance. But how, if at all, does it enter the connect string?
>
> Help is appreciated
>
> Gerd Graßhoff
> Max Planck Institute for History of Science

Gerd,

the connect string should look like the entry in the tnsnames.ora file:

<name> =                <<<<<<< connect/host string ( or <name.world> )
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

where <name> is just a name for your connect string. You can also try to enter userid/pwd and leave the connect string empty. Another solution that helped me was entering '<local host>', including brackets. I can't remember if I set the environment variable ORACLE_SID, maybe you have to do this also.

Hope this helps

Ronald Hijdra
SE/DBA EDS Received on Mon Jun 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message