Re: Locking production PL/SQL stored procedures

From: Graham Miller <lgmiller_at_elmrd.u-net.com>
Date: 1997/06/07

Hello,
  Ensure you have to log into a completely different user to do anything other than read the production database.

Ideally, use a separate database for development.

Revoke all create any, drop any etc rights from the DEV account.

 Ensure that the user with access to manipulate production cannot access the DEV files or database. Yes, i know it makes quick fixes difficult , that is the point!

Change your User and SQL prompts to clearly identify that you are in the production account (i use: THIS IS LIVE!).

Do not have an 'OPS$' account that allows manipulation of the production database.

 You will now have to work quite hard to mess things up. Your development account can have read access to the production database and code.

These are suggestions, not criticisms.

graham (aka grumpy)

Daniel Pinol <dpinol_at_cesca.es> wrote...

| Hi,
|
| do you know any way to lock PL/SQL packages?
| I have a production environment on user PROD, and I'm developing
| next release of the application on user DEV. But I'm afraid I could
| connect by mistake to PROD, and spoil the system that is on
| production.
| I tried revoking the grant RESOURCE to PROD (it contains
| CREATE PROCEDURE). Then, I cannot create new procedures, but I
| still can 'CREATE or REPLACE' or DROP packages.
| Any suggestion?
|
| Thanks,
| I'll apreciate aan email to dpinol_at_cesca.es

Graham Miller ...
Opinions expressed are mine, they are free, and worth exactly what they cost. Received on Sat Jun 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message