Re: Does anyone know a safe way to export > compress a the same time ?

From: Michael A. Rife <MRife_at_admin.usf.edu>
Date: 1997/06/06

In article <01bc7189$de041900$0582f1c3_at_worldonline>, bytelife_at_worldonline.nl says...

>Hello everybody,
>We are trying to compress online (Oracle 7.2 on HP-UX 10.10)
>because we have some owners that can grow to > 2Gbyte export files.
>Perhaps this is possible using named pipes, however the question
>is if this export is reliable ?
>
>Anyone know a better method? Any experiences are welcome.

I have used mknod and it worked very well. We were reorganizing a database, but did not have enough space on disk to create a complete database export, so I used mknod in conjunction with 2 background jobs. (I of course did a complete system before starting!)

To export compressed:

  mknod named_pipe p
  nohup compress < named_pipe > exp.dmp.Z &   nohup exp ... > named_pipe &

This produces a file named exp.dmp.Z which is a compressed export file. The named_pipe file stays fairly small. The file size during the processing is probibly OS specific for named pipes.

To import compressed:

  mknod named_pipe p
  nohup uncompress < exp.emp.Z > named_pipe &   nohup imp < named_pipe &

I did this about 3 years ago with Oracle V6 on SCO Unix. Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message