Re: How can I connect from MS-DOS to Oracle Server 7.3

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/06/04

On Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:32:43 +0200, Stefan Fallet <stfallet_at_fallet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to connect to Oracle Server 7.3 from an MSDOS
>(C-Lnaguage)programm.
>Is there any way to do this. Oracle told me, SQLNET Version 1 is the
>only way,
>but it is not available anymore. Does anyone know any other way.
>

>Thanks
>
>Stefan

If your Oracle Server runs on UNIX, then I belive you are out of luck, because you can't relink the kernel with SQL*Net ver.1. On the other hand, if your server is on NT (and I belive same goes also for Netware, don't know about other OS) then it is possible to install SQL*Net ver.1 listener from any pre-7.3 distribution and it should work.

I myself had 7.2 server on NT with both SQL*Net ver.1 and 2. When I upgraded it to 7.3 I didn't uninstall SQL*Net ver.1 and so I still have both versions of SQL*Net listeners and can connect with both ver.1 and ver.2 SQL*Net clients.

Note however that 7.3 and SQL*Net ver.1 combination is not supported by Oracle corp.

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
tel: +386 61 178 55 14                  Ministry of Finance
fax: +386 61  21 45 84                  Zupanciceva 3
e-mail: jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si Ljubljana 1000