Re: Forms 4.5 Help!! Looking for muli-record block populate methods

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/06/03

In article <5mukeu$b6u_at_drn.zippo.com>, Jody Lewis <lewisj2_at_wdni.com> wrote:
>Could someone please tell me the most effective way to populate a multi-record
>block that gets data from many tables not just one. For instance, I want a
>block containing the following fields:
>
>OPENING_ID, OPENING_SWING
>
>to be populated from this select statement:
>
>SELECT A.OPENING_ID, B.OPENING_SWING
>FROM OPENINGS A, SWINGS B
>WHERE A.OPENING = B.OPENING
>
>There is also one more thing to be thrown into the fire, however. The
>intention of this block is to allow users to select one, select many, or select
>all records in this block. I need to know a way I can do this effectively.
>
>If you have any suggestions at all, please email me at lewisj2_at_wdni.com
>
>Thank you in advance! Any suggestions for some if not all of this problem are
>greatly appreciated.

If this is a display-only block, then a view is the obvious and most efficient way to populate the block with the joined data.

To select various rows, use Display_Item to change the colors of the selected rows. You might want to use a hidden item in each row to indicate whether it has been selected. Use When-mouse-click triggers to sense a row being selected (or de-selected). Use :System.Button_Shift_State to determine whether the Shift or Control buttons are being pressed during the mouse-click. Using these tools, you can program you form to allow row selection the same way Windows does.

Hope this helps
Steve Cosner

Try out QA, a dynamic data utility form. Quick display and update access to any table. http://members.aol.com/stevec5088 Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message